Designated Texter

Don't drink and drive.  That was it. The main worry of parents when I started driving in the 80's.  Now the dangers on the road are much worse with all the distracted, inexperienced folks driving about.  It is all over the radio to not text and drive and how 1 in 6 fatalities are now blamed on texting.

Two close friends have actually been in small accidents texting and driving.  One hit a mailbox on her way to work and the other rear ended someone at a stop sign while she checked a text on her way home.  They were expensive messages, but thankfully not deadly.

Both of their experiences raised my awareness of the dangers of texting and driving, but I admit, that didn't stop me from being tempted to text and drive.

The event that changed my behavior involved my daughter.

She was recently given a ride home.

"How was the ride."
"Ok, but the mom was on her phone most of the ride.  She was really into her conversation and it was kind of scary, not just for her, but for all of us in the car too."

Yikes!  I felt my stomach drop, just like being on a roller coaster, and that knot didn't go away for a long time.  The impact of cell phones and driving took on a whole new meaning for me.  A distracted driver  was no different than having a drunk drive my daughter around.

No more phones and driving. EVER.

Alternatives for texting and driving?

A designated texter. For me, it's my co-pilot! Who ever rides shot gun get the job of adjusting the radio, the air conditioning, and being the designated texter (the DT).   If there is a message that is SO important that must have an instant reply, my front seat secretary will be on it!

When I am alone, my purse is now in the trunk. The phone so far away I can't hear texts coming in or be tempted to text.

So now, the driving talk with my kids is a variation of that from the '80's.

Don't drink and drive.
Don't text and drive.
If you do text, have a designated texter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invitation

The Gift

Giving it All