The Invitation

It my first year teaching middle school and my classroom was quickly becoming a second home to me. I even had a small fridge in my room. I would often find myself at school well into the evening; grading papers, planning lessons, and making worksheets.

On this particular evening, I looked up and saw several of my students walking down the street and duck behind the gas station. Curious, I headed out. I also ducked behind the gas station and startled my teenage students who had lit cigarettes handing off their lips. They were flustered to find me standing there.

Giving them an out, I invited them all to my room. Over chips and pop, I discovered they basically ran the streets of Olde Towne unsupervised until late evening. They were starting to stir up trouble.

I extended an open invitation to them to come to my room, 136, any day. Why not, I figured, I’m always here. Well, to my surprise, they took me up on it. The next night, there they all were, all five of them. We snacked and chatted. This became our routine. We shared stories of the day, enjoyed snacks, and I would grade papers while listening to music. Sometimes they would study.

One day, they asked if they could invite some friends. Before I knew it, I had 45 middle school kids in my room every day after school from 4:00-6:00. We would snack, study, and then end our time line dancing in the hall. We had so much fun! The added bonus was they got their homework done and had a built in tutor too!

Before we knew, it was spring and track season was upon us. I was coaching. These 45 kids followed me up to the track! Some were runners, some jumpers, and some helpers! I found a spot for all of them.

We ended the year with a school dance. My kids and I led the middle schoolers in line dances throughout the evening. What fun! We danced and danced and had so much fun. We had more people dancing than ever before at a middle school dance.

Ten years later, I was in the grocery store. One of my students from that first year, one of the original group that was smoking behind the gas station came up to me. She said, “Thank you. Thanks for the invitation to your room. You made a huge difference in my life. I was up to no good and you saved me.”

Mother Theresa said that the ocean is made of individual drops. My drop became a wave of difference to many.

Comments

  1. Ann, what an incredible and inspirational story! It is amazing what a little invitation can do to help people make good choices in their lives. You clearly make a difference not only in your students' lives, but in each person you meet! Your caring spirit is a blessing to us. I'm so proud of you and all of your accomplishments. My brother made a terrific choice in deciding to marry you. Thanks for choosing to say "yes," to his invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, you are amazing! After a hard day of teaching, you still found time and energy to literally bring the students off the street into a safe place, your classroom! No wonder you had the students in the palm of your hand during the school day...while others yelled in trying to keep order. The students knew that you really cared for them and they responded!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Ann, what an amazing story! What a difference one person can make in someone's life. Having someone who believes in you is so important. You are a blessing to the students and teachers that work with you. Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift

Giving it All