The Viper

Our car was totaled, thanks to an older woman who couldn’t see out her smudged windshield one sloppy January day. So that is how we got a car upgrade to a used Camry, only a few years old complete with a sunroof, iPod outlet, AND a viper security system. The Viper Security System. That is where my trouble began.

This viper security system is guaranteed to keep the car secure. In fact, our first night home with the car was quite an event. Within moments of parking, the kids swarmed the car and the alarm went off. It wasn’t just any alarm, this alarm meant business. It has sirens, whistles, the horn honks, lights flash, the works, and it goes on for at least three minutes. We had no idea how to shut it off. Every time the door opened, the siren started up again. We started to laugh, it was so loud and no matter what we tried, it would not stop. The dogs howled, the kids plugged their ears, and we shut the garage door and ran into the house. Finally, after a chat with the car dealer, we learned we had to use the same key remote to lock and unlock the car. You can’t lock with one and unlock with the other or look out; the Viper Security System is on duty! Problem solved, or so we thought.

One evening, I decided to take the Camry out for a spin to a friend’s house. The viper security system light was blinking red on the dashboard, always on protecting the car. I soon discovered the tank was low and pulled into the gas station. As I was filling the tank, I noticed a questionable character strolling around the cars. I hit the lock on the key remote, the mistake I would soon regret. I quickly replaced the nozzle eager to be on the way. I jumped in the car and closed the door. At that moment, the viper security system thought an intruder was in the car and the alarm went off. I was mortified. There I was in a busy gas station with everyone staring at me. I frantically pushed buttons. No matter what button I pushed on the remote, the car kept screeching, beeping, wailing, and honking. It was a nightmare. My face flushed in embarrassment, I started to perspire, I needed out! There was no escape, nothing to do but sit it out. How long could three minutes possibly be? Forever, I discovered. I waited it out with the red security system light blinking at me, taunting me.

Finally, after what seemed like eternity, silence fell over the gas station. The only sound was my heart pounding. The only movement was the red light blinking on the dashboard, daring me to make a move. I looked the enemy in the eye and turned the key. The viper security system roared to life! It was overpowering! My heart raced, my stomach dropped, and I was so stressed out! I had a decision to make, sit or drive. What was I to do? It was a two minute drive to my friend’s house or three more minutes in the gas station with this possessed car.

The red light blinks. With the gas station customers starting to stare again, I knew what I had to do. I sped off into traffic with lights flashing, horn honking, and the sirens wailing. I continue to frantically push buttons on the remote to no avail. The red light on the dashboard blinks haughtily. The car in front of me pulls off of the side of the road so the wailing viper secured Camry with the rattled driver can zip on by!

When I pulled up to my friend’s house after two long minutes on the streets, I put the car in park and remove the key. The car falls into silence once again. The red light blinks calmly, the only reminder of this harrowing adventure. I sigh. What a ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invitation

The Gift

Giving it All