Piano Lesson

As a young girl I dreamed of playing the piano. My best friend could play the piano so beautifully. I loved listening to her play. I loved the way her fingers would gracefully glide up and down the keys. How I wished I could be like her. I dreamed of taking piano lessons. For me, piano lessons just weren’t in the cards. It was the 70’s and times were tough. My dad just lost his job and my mom was back at work. Money was non-existent. Piano lessons were we not in the picture.

One day, our music teacher announced that there would be a talent show in the spring. Anyone could audition. My best friend wanted to play a piano duet but didn’t have a partner. That is when we came up with a brilliant idea.

My best friend started giving me lessons during recess in the music room. I was so excited and so was she! The moment I had waited for was now happening; I was going to learn to play the piano. Recess was my favorite time of the day! She diligently taught me the notes and gave me songs to practice. She gave me kind words of encouragement and was patiently corrected my mistakes. Before long, we began to work on the duet.

Fall and winter passed quickly and before we knew it, it was the day of the talent show. The auditorium was packed with classmates and parents. We were nervous, excited, and anxious. My hands were sweaty and my mouth was dry.

We plopped down side by side on the piano bench, my best friend and I, as we had so many times during recess. The room was silent. Starting softly, I began our duet with two measures by myself. She nodded at me and flashed me her smile. I gained confidence and we played the duet flawlessly. Our fingers didn’t miss a note. As the audience clapped, she hugged me and tears plopped down my face. She gave me such a gift that year, a lesson I’ve never forgotten.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invitation

The Gift

Giving it All