The Peanut Brittle Maker

YUM! As a young girl, the smell and sight of peanut brittle at Grandma’s house meant one thing…Christmas was here! One of the special treats of the season was a giant candy plate overflowing with peanut brittle.

As grandma and I both grew older, I was able to help make this delectable treat. The process, I soon discovered, was very time consuming. While we waited for the bubbly pot of corn syrup, sugar, and water to boil, we had plenty of time to talk about the good old days. Grandma would talk and stir, I would measure the temperature and listen and so we would pass the afternoon. My legs would get SO tired just standing there next to her. This soon became our holiday tradition, making peanut brittle together.

Grandma grew older and now I was married with children. The seasons changed. This particular Christmas season started as we normally did. Grandma was at the stove stirring, a little slower than usual, and I was doing my job measuring and keeping track of the temperature, side by side, both of us chatting about the good old days.

Soon after we started, she asked for a stool to sit on for a bit. So I had to take the helm, stirring the bubbling pot. She kept directing the operation from her stool, "keep a stirrin, keep a stirrin," she would say. When it was ready, she stood to carry the kettle to the counter to roll it out and stopped suddenly. Her arms were too tired to carry the heavy load. I quicky grabbed it from her and carried it over to the counter. She scooped the steamy, sticky, yummy brittle onto the buttered foil and started to roll it out as she had for so many years.

In mid roll, she stopped and handed me the rolling pin to finish the job. And so the torch was passed.

I am now The Peanut Brittle Maker. Each Christmas season, my house is filled with the smell of peanut brittle. My children are at my side measuring ingredients and checking the temperature. As we work, I tell them stories of the good old days and about one of the best peanut brittle makers I knew…my grandma.

Comments

  1. What a wonderful gift your grandmother gave you, a tradition to pass along to your children. Thanks for letting me take part in making peanut brittle with your family and sharing in your rich family traditions. I have great memories baking cookies and making peanut brittle with your family. Now, with your Grandma's recipe I hope to spread your traditions so my family can enjoy the wonderful smells of Christmas. Merry Christmas!
    Thank you my friend,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful memories and gift that she gave. (and now you give to those you love). I never learned how to make Grandma's peanut brittle, but I remember it was delicious (as well as her sweet pickles, cinnamon rolls, fried chicken-- fantastic comfort foods). I miss them so and her so greatly. Merry Christmas, with love, Natasha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Invitation

The Gift

Giving it All