Sidewalk Drawings

It was a beautiful day, one that you just want to hold on to forever. As I drove up to my house after a late meeting at work, I was greeted by the happiest looking driveway I had ever seen and a bunch of people I love; my parents and three of my four kids! The entire driveway was full of colorful, interesting chalk illustrations, each as different as the kids that drew them.  In some squares there were stick drawings, in others a game of hopscotch, and in another light sabers. In one square, there were lots and lots of words written in cursive. My third grader stood next to his masterpiece just smiling his sweet smile waiting for me to open the car door! I jumped out and gave him a hug!

 "Guess what I learned at school today?" he asked. "I can write in cursive," he gushed on quickly.

 I told him I was so proud of his hard work and that his handwriting was superb. He just beamed!

Then, I looked at the next set of squares and it was full of beautiful poems, one for each of us. All of our names were written boldly in vivid colors, even grandma and grandpa (Gma and Gpa). Each letter of our name had adjectives or expressions that affirmed us and captured who we are and the gifts we share with others. I read each one with care.  My daughter's poems were simple, yet insightful.  These poems on the driveway made my day. She made all of our days! Each poem was a snapshot of our unique personalities and told each of us how very much we are loved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invitation

The Gift

Giving it All