Being Grateful


Someone once told me a long time ago that it is impossible to be grateful and unhappy at the same time.  I have found this is so true.  No matter how bad a day I had, I could always find something to be grateful for, even if it was as simple as an earth to live on and air to breathe.  Every time I was grateful, I felt so much better. It naturally raised my spirits.   

As a family, I started a tradition of sharing what we are grateful for at the dinner table when the kids were very young.  This tradition still stands today. Each person gets a turn to share what he/she is grateful for as we begin the meal. The only rules are that we need to listen when people share and  there are no repeats.

The kids look forward to sharing and even start sharing without being prompted.  Tonight, it went like this. 

“I want to start,” said my son.   “I am grateful that I get to play basketball,” he said.  And then we went around the table. 

“I’m grateful for this amazing meal that mom cooked.”

“I’m grateful for Legos and that my finger feels better.”

“I’m grateful for family.”

“I’m grateful for a beautiful day and being able to eat out on the deck.”

After sharing round of gratefulness, we enjoy our dinner and time together.  Sharing what we are grateful for sets such a nice, happy tone for the meal.

Gratefulness means so much to me.  Grateful teaches you how to be an optimist.   Grateful teaches you to recognize what you have and appreciate it.  Grateful makes you look at the positive. Grateful teaches you a sense of value. Gratefulness is the best way to appreciate the day with those we love! 


What are you grateful for?

Comments

  1. We are grateful and blessed that you and your beautiful family are our friends. You so enrich our lives!

    Warren & Elaine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Invitation

The Gift

Giving it All