Making a Memory

I had just dropped my son off at Apple Camp and my youngest son and I found ourselves at the outdoor mall with nearly an hour and a half on our hands. The scrapbooking store was calling my name. For just a moment, I thought of how I would spend the time if I were alone.

My thought was interrupted by my eight year old saying, "What are we going to do now? I want to go home." As he said that, I thought about an inspirational poem by Sally Meyer called, "Just for Today."

I thought, "just for this morning, I will push all my grown up thoughts away and spend this precious time with a very special eight year old boy."

"What would you like to do?" I asked.
"I want to touch the giant ball that is spinning on water," he said.
"Let's do it," I replied.

He ran over and explored.
"Now, I want to make a wish in the wishing well," he said.

This was the beginning of our magical time together. We closed our eyes and made a wish. Our coins plunked into the fountain. We opened our eyes and saw a little coffee shop and got the best smoothies ever with whipped cream over the top! We sat on a bench and laughed and talked while we sipped our delicious treat.

About that time, the mall was coming to life. The giant sporting goods store was opening its doors. We burst in and began exploring. We bounced balls, rode a ferris wheel, and even found a stuffed brown bear. We had to touch his long, sharp claws. We were silly and it was FUN!

Before we knew it, our time was up and we had to head back to the Apple Store. I learned a lot in our time together. We were so ridiculously happy and the secret was that I simply made the ordinary extraordinary just by giving all of myself to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invitation

The Gift

Giving it All