Valentine's Day Tradition

“Why isn’t he coming home from college for Valentine’s Day,” asked my youngest son. “Why?”  

I explained that he didn’t have time off and that Valentine’s Day wasn't holiday with a day off school.

“But why, Mom, why? There should be a day off for Valentine’s Day.”

I agree. I LOVE Valentine’s Day too.  It is hands down my favorite holiday. Why? Because that is the one holiday that we do not purchase anything.    It is still all about taking the time to tell those you love the most why you love them and show them how much you love them by giving the most precious gift you can give, your time and your presence.

At our house, we make homemade Valentine’s.  These cards are a real gem.  Each card is thoughtfully crafted by its maker.  We dedicate an entire afternoon just making cards.  Everyone has access to construction paper, glitter, lots of stickers, and hearts.  Then the creative juices start flowing and the most amazing cards come to life that would make Hallmark jealous.  Each card is unique, contains messages that are never forgotten, and are priceless.   

Giving the valentines is an experience I never forget and I always look forward to.  The valentines are delivered to our special sacks before dinner.  We have a special “red dinner” and the Valentine sack is next to our plate.  After dinner, we take turns, one person at a time, one Valentine at a time reading and relishing the notes.


I love watching my children’s faces as they read the notes from each other.  As they read, the card writer stands next to them and both their faces light up with happiness.  I feel like the color yellow, warm and content.  It is such a gift to give the card that it makes it as fun to give the card as to get the card.  There are spontaneous hugs, thank yous, and sometimes tears that go along with the Valentine opening.  


"Why do you like Valentine's Day?," I asked my kids.


"Because you know people love you and we are all together."
"Because you get cool creations from everybody."
"You know people care about you." 
"I like Valentine's Day because you get to surprise someone you love."


Last year, my youngest son kept one Valentine on his bulletin board all year and read it every day. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invitation

The Gift

Giving it All