Random Acts of Kindness


I was on Twitter yesterday and ran across a link from @cybraryman1 on Random Acts of Kindness. The story I read was about a couple who gives a new crisp $50 bill to a waitress at a random restaurant right before Christmas.   What a great idea!  Giving something nice to someone who is not expecting anything is just as much fun as receiving a gift.   Giving a $50 bill not only made that person’s day, but will be a story they will share for the rest of their life.

I was once a recipient of a random act of kindness and I will never forget the joy, disbelief, and happiness that flowed through me.  Here is my story.

I had dreamed of owning a piano for many years. After I was married, I visited our local music store and fell in love with a Baldwin Acrosonic piano.  I picked up a glossy flyer with the beautiful cherry piano that included all the details and started saving for it.  I would go to Schmitt Music often and play the piano on the show room floor, then go home and keep saving.  I taught extra classes, babysat, and quit eating out so that I could grow my savings.  Once or twice a year I would drop in and play a piece on the piano that I loved.

Finally, after six years of savings, the day arrived when I had enough money.  
I walked confidently into the store and said I wanted to purchase the Baldwin piano.  I was so excited I could hardly wait! I felt like a little girl at Christmas taking the first glimpse at all the presents under the tree.  I had never worked so hard or so long for anything ever in my life.

We walked over to the piano and he turned the tag.  The numbers glared up at me.  It was $300 more that was on my original flyer from years ago.  My jaw dropped in dismay. I turned to the salesman and sadly said I would see him in a few months and started out the door.

“Wait a minute, maam,” he said. “Let me see your flyer.”

I handed him the flyer with the creases and the original price on it.  “I’ll be right back”

Moments later, his dad came out of the back room and shook my hand. “Congratulations.  You are the proud new owner of a Baldwin piano.  We will not only sell it to you for the price on the flyer, but we will deliver and tune it for you for too.”

Shocked, happy, excited, disbelief, and sheer joy all coursed through my body!  

“Thank you, thank you so very much,” I said. This random act of kindness will never be forgotten.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Invitation

The Gift

Giving it All